Nominations are now open for the 2018 Northern Territory Sports Awards.
The NT Sports Awards recognise the outstanding achievements of our athletes, coaches, sporting officials and volunteers across eight categories, with previous recipients including Olympians and Commonwealth Games champions.
NT Minister for Tourism and Culture, Lauren Moss said the awards are the premier event on the Territory sporting calendar.
“The awards give the sporting community the opportunity to come together to celebrate the achievements of those who have excelled at the highest level in local, national and international competitions,” Ms Moss said.
“I encourage Territorians from all sports to nominate a local champion who demonstrates, or has achieved, outstanding results in their sporting field.”
2016’s winners include wheelchair basketball superstar Tom O’Neill-Thorne, who was named Sportsperson of the Year, and Janette Wray, who took home the award for NT Volunteer of the Year for her involvement with AFL.
Nominated award categories include:
- NT Sportsperson of the Year
- NT Junior Sportsperson of the Year
- NT Masters Sportsperson of the Year
- NT Team of the Year
- Eric Johnston Coach of the Year
- NT Official of the Year
- NT Volunteer of the Year
- NT Local Performance of the Year.
The Awards also feature non-nominated categories whereby a panel considers suitable candidates:
- NT Hall of Champions – acknowledges the Territory’s greatest sportspeople
- NT Roll of Honour – recognises the important role of coaches, administrators and officials
- Steve Abala Role Model – the ‘Administrator’s Medal’ – awarded to an athlete who demonstrates a positive and encouraging example for others to follow.
Nominations close on 28 January 2018.
The NT Sports Awards will be celebrated at a gala event on Saturday, March 24 2018 in Darwin, at a venue to be confirmed. Tickets will be available in the New Year.
Source: NT Government